Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Why We Don't Have a Christmas Tree

Nope, we don’t put up a Christmas tree.  Have not had one for at least 8 years.  As my family can attest, I tried for many years to get into that tradition, to no avail. And, no, we are not Jehovah’s witness. First, I don’t like many things made of plastic, just too fake,so the artificial trees were out. I even tried to make a tree out of PVC (admittedly it was very artsy!).  Then, I never saw the wisdom of buying a dead tree just to throw it out a month later. I tried the living Christmas trees, but they either died or were eaten by goats. I started to ask myself, what is the root reason why I don’t get excited about Christmas trees, or any decorations for that matter. I read Jeremiah 10:3,4


“For the customs of the people [are] vain: for [one] cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.”

Ouch! What is the purpose of the tree? I saw it as materialism and a distraction from Jesus. We decorate the trees all pretty and then bow before them to put our gifts under. Sounds a little too much like idolatry to me, and vanity. It was not pointing to Jesus. So why have it? Now before you go all crazy on me, I am not judging you and your tree if you so choose to have one, just telling you why we don’t have one. Now, if you can convince me by Scripture why I should have one, let’s talk!

1 comment:

Tiffany Ambriz said...

Hi! I found your blog from Large Famlies. We too, or rather I am struggling with the whole Christmas tree thing. We are feeling lead to get back to the Hebrew roots of our faith/Christianity - and the whole secular side of Christmas and other holidays supposedly Christian has become more and more unsavory to me. We have never done Santa, the Easter Bunny, or tooth fairy - but this year, I really despised the whole tree thing. Hoping to get by without one next year. I think I will have some convincing to do on my husband.