Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The One Where I Take My Children to ‘School’

Our new neighbors invited us to the school musical last night. Their children are seen in our house almost as often as our own these days. Okay, how bad can it be? A few songs with children ages K-6, maybe some patriotic songs, maybe some cute farm songs.

Can you say M I S C O N C E P T I O N ?

Here are some of the lyrics we heard in the first few minutes: "Baby you belong with me", "Damn this knuckle busted',back breakin', no paying job", "She got me thinkin' that I just might leave here with her tonight", "Hot headed women, cold beer", "Let's just lay here and be lazy, baby drive me crazy", "Come a little closer baby, we can talk without the words, Hang a sign on the door, please do not disturb", "You better take it from me, that boy is like a disease…He's like a curse, he's like a drug, you get addicted to his love, You wanna get out but he's holding you down, 'Cause you can't live without one more touch".

Ok, we are out of there. We walked out after the first few songs. I think we would have left after the first one or two, but quite frankly, we were befuddled, flummoxed, bewildered. What is going on? these parents are applauding their children, er, kids, in singing these songs and some of them girls are dressed like hookers with all the make-up, short skirts, and high heels (the theme was Night at the Grammys). And they wonder why there is a teen pregnancy problem around here. Some of these are professing Christians. CHRISTIANS: STOP TRYING TO BE LIKE THE WORLD! COME OUT AND BE SEPARATE!

And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty. 2 Corinthians 16-18

Oh, don't think the kids were the only ones singing. The printed program listed a teacher singing the old classic, "Why Have You Left the One You Left Me For." Some of us had tears in our eyes as we walked out, some wanted to vomit, some wanted to admonish and rebuke with Jeremiah 1 and 2. We pray that the Lord will have mercy and grant repentance.

One of our children was the first to get up and leave. What had seemed like an innocent outing had turned into a sad, rude awakening. God grant us the courage and perseverance to declare Your truth to the nations!

2 comments:

Moore Family said...

Oh Gag! How very disgusting! I'm so glad you guys left!

higginites said...

im sure you wont approve our comments......but not all the songs you heard were vulgar......some where it sounds like, but cummon really?