Thursday, January 29, 2009

Project Gutenberg

The Project Gutenberg DVD came in the mail today containing about 17,500 books. If you are a biblioholic like myself, there is a link on the side bar for Project Gutenberg.

I cannot live without books. Thomas Jefferson

I had found the secret of a garret room
Piled high with cases in my father's name;
Piled high, packed large,--where, creeping in and out
Among the giant fossils of my past,
Like some small nimble mouse between the ribs
Of a mastodon, I nibbled here and there
At this or that box, pulling through the gap,
In heats of terror, haste, victorious joy,
The first book first. And how I felt it beat
Under my pillow, in the morning's dark,
An hour before the sun would let me read!
Aurora Leigh, Bk. I. E.B. BROWNING.

In a word, literature is my Utopia. Hellen Keller

Come, and take choice of all my library, And so beguile thy sorrow.
Titus Andronicus, Act iv. Sc. 1. SHAKESPEARE.

He furnished me From mine own library with volumes that I prize above my dukedom.
Tempest, Act i. Sc. 2. SHAKESPEARE.

POLONIUS.--What do you read, my lord?
HAMLET.--Words, words, words.
Hamlet, Act ii. Sc. 2. SHAKESPEARE.

O Reader! had you in your mind
Such stores as silent thought may bring,
O gentle Reader! you would find
A tale in everything.
Simon Lee. W. WORDSWORTH.

He that revels in a well-chosen library has innumerable dishes, and all of admirable flavour.
William Godwin, in The Guide to Reading

No comments: