Saturday, April 19, 2008

Not for the Faint of Heart


The first ones came to me no problem, they were hungry. After a few times of entering the pen with splattered blood and feathers, they started running from me. Chickens aren't smart?
I know, I am having way too much fun with this whole homesteading thing!

The smallest birds were two handers for some.

Chicken foot soup, anyone?


Ready for next time!

Some comments from the eviserating table (heads already removed at this point):

  • Will the feathers grow back?
  • Will they still lay eggs?
  • Why do we have to kill them before we eat them?
  • Can I taste it now?
  • That has got to be the grossest thing I have ever witnessed.

Dressed weight is about 6 pounds per bird. The breasts alone are just under a pound each.

Yummy!

3 comments:

Roehrman said...

When is supper? I like butchering chickens. Looks like you do too!

Jennifer said...

Oh the Carnage! :)

Mom, Mommy, Mama said...

I have NEVER seen that done before. I couldn't handle it myself but it does seem to be rather quick and painless... and gross.

well, happy animals make good food so i'm sure your chickens are really tasty :)